Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Jing Screencasting & Google Sites

Today I taught a workshop on using Jing software to create screenshots and screencasts as well as on Google Sites, where I happen to share a number of my Jing tutorials.  Following are sites with links to YouTube videos and attachments of handouts:
Here's a Jing tutorial (4:59) that may serve as an introduction to Google Sites:
Unable to display content. Adobe Flash is required.

This screenshot just demonstrates the fact that with the Jing software it is possible to insert text boxes and arrows onto a screenshot:


Here's another such example that also highlights our Library:


In helping individuals create their own Sites, one of the first questions asked is how to create a hyperlink, so here's a video (1:34) on how to create external and internal links on your site:
Unable to display content. Adobe Flash is required.

Since our library cannot afford a quality product such as Libguides, I have begun using Google Sites to create pathfinders for specific classes and class assignments.  In fact, last week at the reference desk a student from a political science class asked me if I would be deleting or removing the website I had create for his class.  He thanked me for the site, saying that it had just the right resources and information he needed in one spot to help him complete his assignment.  Compliments like these are worth sharing and remembering.



Castle Peak, White Clouds of Idaho.
July 2010.


No comments: