Thursday, November 17, 2011

Information Literacy Class Progresses

The one-credit course I am teaching this semester is an information-literacy course.  Its official name is ACAD 1199: Information Research.  We have now finished week 5.  I have a Google Sites page that offers a bit more information about this class.  That page has a number of links to my syllabus, outlines, worksheets, and more.  Take a look at it, and let me know what you think.

Are you teaching or taking such a course?  What do you do when you teach it?

I also have a couple of presentations posted there.  One that I enjoyed making talks about the differences between catalogs and indexes (Catalog vs. Index).  For more information on this topic see my blog post "Catalog vs. Index."  It continues to be one of the most viewed blog posts that I have written.

Today we talked about Ulrich's Periodicals Directory, which is a useful source for discovering if a journal is peer-reviewed or not.  It may be better to say that it will tell you if articles in a journal are refereed or peer reviewed; these two terms are synonymous.  We also talked about how to find the full text of an article, using the resources at Idaho State University

No comments: